It's kind of funny that some of the owners claim to be losing money, especially when small market teams like the Edmonton Oilers start tossing significant amounts of cash around.
As you probably know, they just signed Taylor Hall to a seven-year, $42 million extension. That represents a $6 million cap hit.
Obviously, some teams need help, but at this point it feels like the NHL is crying wolf.
Habs and Hockey News
- Bryan Willey plays arm chair GM with the Montreal Canadiens and makes some pretty interesting trades.
- Rene Bourque is the topic of HabsWorld's Fantasy Focus series today. Also, be sure to Sean Lloyd's profile on the winger.
- Eric Engels has some notes on the Montreal Canadiens.
- Josh Gorges was apparently vocal at a recent NHLPA meeting. As for actual CBA negotiations, some talks were held yesterday, but the main session was cancelled. They should resume as planned today. Meanwhile, at Sports Illustrated, Stu Hackel breaks down why some owners are so staunchly opposed to revenue sharing.
- Antero Nittymaki is returning home and has signed to play with TPS Turku is the Finnish league. If that team sounds familiar to some of you, that's because Saku and Mikko Koivu played there as well.
(Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images North America)